What you need to know for the day of surgery
- Please bathe or shower prior to your surgery. Remove all makeup, and do not use lotions or oils after bathing.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweatsuits and easy-to-button shirts or blouses that are big enough to accommodate a large bandage after surgery. Wear comfortable shoes- no high heels, please.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry, cell phone, and cash at home. We cannot be responsible for damaged or lost property.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the operation. If the patient is under 18, a parent or legal guardian must accompany the patient and sign the consent form.
- Bring all insurance cards and your driver’s license or other photo ID with you to the facility.
- Please arrive one and ½ hours before your scheduled procedure unless told otherwise by one of our nurses or your physician.
- A nurse will provide you with a patient gown, slippers, and a bag to store your clothing in the pre-operative area. We will also check your temperature, blood pressure, and pulse and ask you to empty your bladder before surgery.
- One of the anesthesiologists will speak with you concerning your anesthesia options, if anesthesia is required for your procedure.
- Your family will be asked to wait in the lobby. Due to the restrictions of HIPAA legislation and to protect your privacy, no family members will be allowed to go to the pre-op area with you. The surgeon will speak with your family following surgery, and one person will be allowed in the post-op area as soon as medically appropriate.